On 20 February 2007, the European Central Bank (ECB) presented the outcome of the preliminary planning phase, in which the architects consolidated and modified the design proposal for the new premises on the basis of the results of the optimisation phase The preliminary planning phase paved the way for the detailed planning phase.
- The high-rise and entrance building, which links the Grossmarkthalle to the high-rise, were moved slightly to the west, over the part of the building that was rebuilt after the Second World War.
- In line with the requirements of the historic preservation authorities, the signature concrete grid facade was to remain intact.
- The envisaged functions of the Grossmarkthalle were reorganised on the basis of historic preservation and space requirements.
- The facade of the high-rise was rendered more energy-efficient by increasing the level of solar protection.
- The landscape design of the site was redefined and redeveloped with regard to the integration of the ECB’s security requirements into the landscape.