Are banks walking the talk on climate?
We’ve looked at how banks are taking climate and environmental risks into account in their business. What did we find? Are banks meeting our supervisory expectations?
Our host Katie Ranger discusses the results of our thematic review with Executive Board member and Supervisory Board Vice-Chair Frank Elderson on The ECB Podcast.
The views expressed are those of the speakers and not necessarily those of the European Central Bank.
Published on 2 November 2022 and recorded on 21 October 2022.
The results of our thematic review
How banks are managing climate and environmental risks, and what happens if they don’t meet our supervisory expectations.
Zooming in on bank strategies
What steps banks have taken to understand how climate-related risks might impact their business model, and how they intend to adjust their strategy, such as through transition plans, plus areas that need more work.
What is holding banks back from acting
Why banks need to look at both short and longer term horizons when thinking about these risks.
Zooming in on risk management
How banks are taking climate-related risks into account when ensuring they have enough capital to cover their risks, and where more progress is needed.
Why can’t banks just stop funding carbon-intensive activities?
Why banks need transition plans to manage their risks as the world moves towards a greener economy, and our role here as supervisor.
The next steps for supervisors and banks
How we will supervise banks to make sure they adequately manage climate-related risks and what we will do if they don’t, and what banks need to do to continue their path towards greening their business.
- Our guest’s hot tips
- Walking the talk - Banks gearing up to manage risks from climate change and environmental degradation. Results of the 2022 thematic review on climate-related and environmental risks, 2 November 2022
- Press release: ECB sets deadlines for banks to deal with climate risks, 2 November 2022
- The ECB Blog by Frank Elderson: Banks need to proof against climate change, 2 November 2022
- The ECB Podcast: Greening the financial system: milestones in our climate change journey, 9 July 2022
- The ECB Podcast: Time to act now: results of the economy-wide climate stress test, 22 September 2021
- The ECB Podcast: Tackling climate change as a central bank: Between motivation, obligation and limitation, 12 May 2021
- The ECB Podcast: Climate change and the role of central banks, 3 March 2020
- Climate change and banking supervision
- Climate change and the ECB
- UN Biodiversity Conference (COP 15), 7 – 19 December 2022
- Smithsonian American Art Museum: Online Gallery for Alexander von Humboldt and the United States: Art, Nature, and Culture
- European Banking Supervision