The General Council comprises
In other words, the General Council includes representatives of the 19 euro area countries and the 9 non-euro area countries.
- the President of the ECB;
- the Vice-President of the ECB;
- the governors of the national central banks (NCBs) of the 28 EU Member States.
The other members of the ECB's Executive Board, the President of the EU Council and one member of the European Commission may attend the meetings of the General Council but do not have the right to vote.
The General Council can be regarded as a transitional body. It carries out the tasks taken over from the European Monetary Institute which the ECB is required to perform in Stage Three of Economic and Monetary Union on account of the fact that not all EU Member States have adopted the euro yet.
The General Council also contributes to:
- the ECB's advisory functions;
- the collection of statistical information;
- the preparation of the ECB's annual report;
- the establishment of the necessary rules for standardising the accounting and reporting of operations undertaken by the NCBs;
- the taking of measures relating to the establishment of the key for the ECB's capital subscription other than those laid down in the Treaty;
- the laying-down of the conditions of employment of the members of staff of the ECB; and
- the necessary preparations for irrevocably fixing the exchange rates of the currencies of the "EU Member States with a derogation" against the euro.
In accordance with the Statute of the European System of Central Banks and of the European Central Bank, the General Council will be dissolved once all EU Member States have introduced the single currency.
Governor, Nationale Bank van België/Banque Nationale de Belgique
Governor, Българска народна банка (Bulgarian National Bank)
Governor, Česká národní banka
Governor, Danmarks Nationalbank
President, Deutsche Bundesbank
Governor, Eesti Pank
Philip R. Lane
Governor, Central Bank of Ireland
Governor, Bank of Greece
Pablo Hernández de Cos
Governor, Banco de España
François Villeroy de Galhau
Governor, Banque de France
Governor, Hrvatska narodna banka
Governor, Banca d'Italia
Governor, Central Bank of Cyprus
Governor, Latvijas Banka
Chairman of the Board, Lietuvos bankas
Governor, Banque centrale du Luxembourg
Governor, Magyar Nemzeti Bank
Governor, Central Bank of Malta
President, De Nederlandsche Bank
Governor, Oesterreichische Nationalbank
President, Narodowy Bank Polski
Governor, Banco de Portugal
Mugur Constantin Isărescu
Governor, Banca Națională a României
To be appointed
Governor, Banka Slovenije
Governor, Národná banka Slovenska
Governor, Suomen Pankki - Finlands Bank
Governor, Sveriges Riksbank
Governor, Bank of England