There are several administrative details you need to take care of before you start your traineeship with the ECB. Within the first few days of arriving in Germany you will also need to register with the German authorities and, if need be, open a German bank account.

The time it takes to obtain a criminal record certificate can vary substantially depending on your country of residence. Make sure you start this procedure as soon as you are sure that you are going to join the ECB.

Security clearance

Before coming to Frankfurt

Documents to be provided before the start of your traineeship

Once you have received your traineeship agreement, please send the following documents as soon as possible to the specified person and address:

  • the signed duplicate of your traineeship agreement*
  • the privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates*
  • the criminal record certificate* (does not need to be translated into English)
  • the medical certificate* (please see the link below)
  • a copy of your passport/ID card (please note that you will be required to show your passport/ID card when you start work at the ECB)
  • the completed personal details form (please see the link below)
  • a copy of any relevant diplomas or certificates (post-secondary level education only). Please note that the originals may be requested at any time during your contract period
  • your bank account details (IBAN and BIC), if already available

You can also submit the above documents, with the exception of those marked with an *, by e-mail.

Security clearance

To protect the institution and its reputation, the ECB employs only individuals whose criminal history (if any) does not call into question their capacity to maintain high standards of professional ethics in the performance of their duties at the ECB. Please submit the completed privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates and a criminal record certificate (which does not need to be translated into English) before starting work at the ECB.

Please send both documents in the original by post to:

European Central Bank
Security Division - Clearance
Sonnemannstrasse 20
60314 Frankfurt am Main

To facilitate the security clearance process:

  • send both documents together
  • use your official name consistently on all documents
  • ensure that all fields are filled in
  • make sure your handwriting is legible
  • send them to the Security Division – not to the HR department

Useful information:

  • The time it takes to obtain a criminal record certificate can vary substantially depending on your country of residence. Make sure you start this procedure as soon as your intention to join the ECB is clear.
  • We do not reimburse the cost of obtaining a criminal record certificate.
  • Your security clearance will be granted solely on the basis of these two documents.
  • In most cases, we process security clearance within five working days.

Please contact us via e-mail if you have any concerns or questions regarding security clearance.

Have a look at the introduction to security clearance for more information.

Security self-declaration and consent form

Introduction to security clearance

Medical clearance

You need to provide a certificate, in English, confirming that you are “fit to start your traineeship at the ECB" prior to your traineeship start date. This certificate can be issued by your general practitioner and does not need to be accompanied by any medical examination results.

Medical certificate

Trainee grant

The trainee grant is the exact amount of €1,050 per month. The trainee grant is increased to €1,900 per month for trainees who have completed at least two years of PhD study and who apply for a traineeship vacancy that requires such a level of qualification.

You will receive a letter specifying the amount of your trainee grant. No tax is deducted from this grant by the ECB. Please note, however, that it may be taxable in your home country.


If the distance from your place of recruitment to the ECB exceeds 50 km and you decide to temporarily relocate, we will pay for your accommodation for the duration of your stay. You can either stay in one of the residences with which the ECB has a special arrangement or receive a rental allowance and move into your own temporary private accommodation. Please see Private accommodation and rental allowance for further information.

If the distance from your place of recruitment to the ECB is less than 50 km and you decide to temporarily relocate, please bear in mind that you will not receive a rental allowance for private accommodation. You can, however, request accommodation in one of the residences with which the ECB has a special arrangement.

To ensure that only those colleagues who are eligible can reserve a place in one of the residences, the ECB regularly provides the residences with the names of new trainees and certain details about their contracts. This also allows the ECB to comply with its legal obligation to provide initial accommodation to staff, as set out in the rules governing the ECB’s traineeship programme.

ECB residences

The ECB has negotiated special conditions with four residences: Apartment Residenz, Derag Hotel, Achat Comfort City-Frankfurt and Mercure. If you opt to stay in one of these residences, you will be offered a self-catering apartment (for single occupancy) which includes a kitchenette and a bathroom. The ECB will pay your invoice for the single occupancy directly, but any costs for higher occupancy as well as for any other non-covered items (such as meal service or potential damages caused to the apartment during your stay) need to be borne by the staff members directly with the residences. For this purpose, the residences may ask you for your credit card details or another form of payment guarantee.

You may check-in one day prior to your first working day, and check-out one day after your last working day. Please book directly via email (not via any online booking system). Once booked, any issues related to your stay at any of the residences should be addressed directly to the provider. Please contact the ECB if you have cancelled your reservation and would like to request the rental allowance of €750 instead. See Private accommodation and rental allowance for further information.

Cancellation Policy

In case you leave the apartment prior to the end of the contracted period, you must notify the residence in writing at least 4 weeks in advance (and you can only move out at the end of a month). Furthermore, please note that the minimum period for your stay shall be one calendar month.

In case you fail to cancel your booking in writing at least 4 weeks prior to the scheduled check-out date and prior to the end of a month, the ECB reserves the right to charge you the monthly rental cost of your room until your room booking has expired. This applies also in case you decide for an early termination of your contract with the ECB.

Apartment Residenz

Stephanstraße 5
60323 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 (0)69 968 6966-0
Fax: +49 (0)69 968 6966-20
Email Website

Derag Hotel and Living: Apartments Johann Wolfgang

Großer Hasenpfad 141 - 145
60598 Frankfurt
Tel: +49 (0) 69 68 09 20
Fax: +49 (0) 69 68 65 71
Email Website

Achat Comfort City- Frankfurt

Achat Comfort City- Frankfurt
Launhardtstraße 2-4
60314 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 (0) 69 94 99 00
Fax: +49 (0) 69 94 99 08 00
Email Website

Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe

Voltastraße 29
60486 Frankfurt am Main
Tel: +49 (0) 69 79 26 0
Fax: +49 (0) 69 79 26 16 06
Email Website

Important information

The following steps must be strictly observed when looking for an apartment in one of the above residences:

  • Contact any of the above listed providers at least 15 days prior to your planned arrival date and ask if they have fixed order apartments available. Note: it is extremely important that you ask for fixed order apartments only.
  • In case the provider of your choice does not have fixed order apartments available, please make sure to contact the next provider(s) of your choice and ask for fixed order apartments.
  • If none of the above providers have fixed order apartments available, please contact the providers according to the above ranking (i.e. 1st rank Apartment Residenz, 2nd rank Derag, 3rd rank Achat Comfort City-Frankfurt, 4th rank Mercure) and ask if they have reserved apartments available.
  • In case none of the providers have neither fixed order apartments nor reserved apartments available, please contact at least 7 days prior to your planned arrival date.
  • Please note that non-adherence to the above guideline may lead to the fact that the ECB will not assume the costs for your apartment.
  • Please note that for contractual reasons, depending on the occupancy levels in the various Residences, you may be asked to move residences during your stay and especially if your contract with the ECB is extended and you want to continue benefitting from the Residences. If this happens, the above process steps need to be observed once again and consequently there is no guarantee for you to stay in your current residence. You will not be able to refuse an ECB request to move residences, except if you decide to go for privately arranged accommodation, in which case you can apply for a rental allowance (see below).

We wish you a very nice stay at your accommodation. In case of questions, please contact

Private accommodation and rental allowance

If you prefer to move into private accommodation instead of staying at one of the above residences, please inform the ECB (contact your HR Operations assistant). In this case, you will receive a rental allowance of €750/month. This rental allowance also applies in case of external assignment if no accommodation is provided.

Travel arrangements

If the distance from your place of residence to the ECB exceeds 50 km and irrespective of the means of transport used, the ECB pays the following lump sums on appointment (and later on termination) of service (aimed at covering all travel costs of your journey):

Up to 500 km 500-1,500 km Over 1,500 km
EUR 340 EUR 465 EUR 589

Make your own travel arrangements as soon as possible.

Useful information

There are restricted traffic zones/low emission zones within the city centre (Umweltzone/green zone) where only cars displaying specific environmental badges/stickers (Feinstaub-Plaketten) are allowed to circulate. The badges/stickers can be obtained for €5 at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle, in the Bürgerämter in Frankfurt, at TÜV, DEKRA and car garages. You will need to bring your car ID (Fahrzeugschein) in order to buy them. Vehicles without an environmental badge/sticker may not pass through the green zone and penalties apply.

After your arrival in Frankfurt

Registration with the German authorities

Within two weeks of arriving in Germany, you must register your place of residence with one of the Bürgerämter (registration offices) of the town/city in which you live. This must be done in person. You do not have to register if your stay in Germany will not exceed three months. But it is advisable to do so if there is a possibility that your traineeship with the ECB is likely to be extended beyond this time period (as it may help avoid an unnecessary fine).

If you are married, or have children, the original marriage and birth certificates need to be provided with the International Certificate or a certified German translation. If you are divorced, the same applies for the divorce certificate.

You will also need to present a letter from your landlord/rental property manager confirming that you are renting accommodation. This letter has to include the name and address of the landlord/rental property manager, the date on which you will be moving in, the address of the rental property and your name. Failure to comply could result in a €1,000 fine for the landlord.

Planning to live in Frankfurt?

A full list of registration offices in Frankfurt can be found here.

Note that you will receive a verbal warning if you only manage to register with the Frankfurt authorities between two and four weeks of taking up residence in this city. Thereafter, you may be fined. Fines start at €15 and the amount payable will depend on the length of the delay.

EU nationals do not need a residence permit

A German residence permit is not required for EU citizens. The Meldebescheinigung (the certificate issued when registering your place of residence with a local registration office, i.e. a Bürgeramt) – together with your personal ID card or passport – is sufficient proof that you are officially registered in Germany as a citizen of another EU country.

Bank account

Your salary and benefits can be paid into any account in the European Union, provided that your bank is SEPA-compliant. You can also open a bank account in Germany (leaflets on the various banks are available at the Staff Info Point in room HS 15.10 of the main building).

Many banks require their clients to register their place of residence at a local Bürgeramt (please see the section Registration with the German authorities) before opening a new bank account.

Provide us with your bank account details either:

  • by completing the bank account form
  • or by e-mailing them

at the latest within the first three days of starting work at the ECB to ensure that you are paid on the 15th of the month.

Bank account form

Health and safety

ECB Health insurance

The ECB offers health insurance cover to trainees for a monthly premium of 7.2% of your traineeship grant, one-third of which is borne by you and two-thirds by the ECB. For more information on the scheme, see the respective brochure. If you wish to be covered by the scheme, please inform the ECB by e-mail.

Other health insurance schemes

However, if you wish to retain your current insurance cover, you will need to provide us with a copy of your medical insurance card (e.g. the European Health Insurance Card, which can be obtained from the authorities in your home country). In this case, all related contributions will have to be borne by you.

Staff Rules: Health insurance rules

Accident insurance

Participation in the ECB’s accident insurance scheme is compulsory for all trainees. It provides 24-hour worldwide cover against all work-related accidents. The insurance also provides for work-related accidental death and disability benefits.

Cost of accident insurance

For trainees, the total premium for this insurance is borne fully by the ECB.

Cover for dependants

Family members are not covered by this insurance.

Public transportation benefit

On your first working day, you are able to order a ticket for public transportation – it is offered by the ECB in cooperation with RMV, the Frankfurt regional public transportation association, and it offers attractive discounts up to 38% vs. regular RMV seasonal tickets.