There are several administrative details you need to take care of before you start your traineeship with the ECB. Within the first few days of arriving in Germany you will also need to register with the German authorities and, if need be, open a German bank account.
The time it takes to obtain a criminal record certificate can vary substantially depending on your country of residence. Make sure you start this procedure as soon as you are sure that you are going to join the ECB.
Before coming to FrankfurtDocuments to be provided before the start of your traineeship
Once you have received your traineeship agreement, please send the following documents as soon as possible to the specified person and address:
- the signed duplicate of your traineeship agreement*
- the privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates*
- the criminal record certificate* (does not need to be translated into English)
- the medical certificate* (please see the link below)
- a copy of your passport/ID card (please note that you will be required to show your passport/ID card when you start work at the ECB)
- the completed personal details form (please see the link below)
- a copy of any relevant diplomas or certificates (post-secondary level education only). Please note that the originals may be requested at any time during your contract period
- your bank account details (IBAN and BIC), if already available
You can also submit the above documents, with the exception of those marked with an *, by e-mail.
To protect the institution and its reputation, the ECB employs only individuals whose criminal history (if any) does not call into question their capacity to maintain high standards of professional ethics in the performance of their duties at the ECB. Please submit the completed privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates and a criminal record certificate (which does not need to be translated into English) before starting work at the ECB.
Please send both documents in the original by post to:
European Central Bank
Security Division - Clearance
60314 Frankfurt am Main
To facilitate the security clearance process:
- send both documents together
- use your official name consistently on all documents
- ensure that all fields are filled in
- make sure your handwriting is legible
- send them to the Security Division – not to the HR department
- The time it takes to obtain a criminal record certificate can vary substantially depending on your country of residence. Make sure you start this procedure as soon as your intention to join the ECB is clear.
- We do not reimburse the cost of obtaining a criminal record certificate.
- Your security clearance will be granted solely on the basis of these two documents.
- In most cases, we process security clearance within five working days.
Please contact us via e-mail if you have any concerns or questions regarding security clearance.
Have a look at the introduction to security clearance for more information.
You need to provide a certificate, in English, confirming that you are “fit to start your traineeship at the ECB" prior to your traineeship start date. This certificate can be issued by your general practitioner and does not need to be accompanied by any medical examination results.
The trainee grant is the exact amount of €1,050 per month. The trainee grant is increased to €1,900 per month for trainees who have completed at least two years of PhD study and who apply for a traineeship vacancy that requires such a level of qualification.
You will receive a letter specifying the amount of your trainee grant. No tax is deducted from this grant by the ECB. Please note, however, that it may be taxable in your home country.
If the distance from your place of recruitment to the ECB exceeds 50 km and you decide to temporarily relocate, we will pay for your accommodation for the duration of your stay. You can either stay in one of the residences with which the ECB has a special arrangement or move into your own temporary private accommodation.
The ECB has negotiated special conditions with four residences: Apartment Residenz, Derag Hotel, Golden Leaf and Mercure. If you opt to stay in one of these residences, you will be offered a self-catering apartment (for single occupancy) which includes a kitchenette and a bathroom. The ECB will pay your invoice for the single occupancy directly, but any costs for higher occupancy as well as for any other non-covered items (such as meal service or potential damages caused to the apartment during your stay) need to be borne by the staff members directly with the residences. For this purpose, the residences may ask you for your credit card details or another form of payment guarantee.
You may check-in one day prior to your first working day, and check-out one day after your last working day. Please book directly via email (not via any online booking system). Once booked, any issues related to your stay at any of the residences should be addressed directly to the provider. Please contact the ECB in case you have cancelled your reservation and would like to request instead the rental allowance of 750 EUR (see below under “Private accommodation and rental allowance”).
In case you leave the apartment prior to the end of the contracted period, you must notify the residence in writing at least 4 weeks in advance (and you can only move out at the end of a month). Furthermore, please note that the minimum period for your stay shall be one calendar month.
In case you fail to cancel your booking in writing at least 4 weeks prior to the scheduled check-out date and prior to the end of a month, the ECB reserves the right to charge you the monthly rental cost of your room until your room booking has expired. This applies also in case you decide for an early termination of your contract with the ECB.
Derag Hotel and Living: Apartments Johann Wolfgang
Golden Leaf Hotel and Residence Frankfurt
Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe
The following steps must be strictly observed when looking for an apartment in one of the above residences:
- Contact any of the above listed providers at least 15 days prior to your planned arrival date and ask if they have fixed order apartments available. Note: it is extremely important that you ask for fixed order apartments only.
- In case the provider of your choice does not have fixed order apartments available, please make sure to contact the next provider(s) of your choice and ask for fixed order apartments.
- If none of the above providers have fixed order apartments available, please contact the providers according to the above ranking (i.e. 1st rank Apartment Residenz, 2nd rank Derag, 3rd rank Golden Leaf, 4th rank Mercure) and ask if they have reserved apartments available.
- In case none of the providers have neither fixed order apartments nor reserved apartments available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 days prior to your planned arrival date.
- Please note that non-adherence to the above guideline may lead to the fact that the ECB will not assume the costs for your apartment.
- Please note that for contractual reasons, depending on the occupancy levels in the various Residences, you may be asked to move residences during your stay and especially if your contract with the ECB is extended and you want to continue benefitting from the Residences. If this happens, the above process steps need to be observed once again and consequently there is no guarantee for you to stay in your current residence. You will not be able to refuse an ECB request to move residences, except if you decide to go for privately arranged accommodation, in which case you can apply for a rental allowance (see below).
We wish you a very nice stay at your accommodation. In case of questions, please contact email@example.com.
Private accommodation and rental allowance
If you prefer to move into private accommodation instead of staying at one of the above residences, please inform the ECB (contact your HR Operations assistant). In this case, you will receive a rental allowance of €750/month. This rental allowance also applies in case of external assignment if no accommodation is provided.
If the distance from your place of residence to the ECB exceeds 50 km and irrespective of the means of transport used, the ECB pays the following lump sums on appointment (and later on termination) of service (aimed at covering all travel costs of your journey):
|Up to 500 km||500-1,500 km||Over 1,500 km|
|EUR 336||EUR 459||EUR 582|
Make your own travel arrangements as soon as possible.
There are restricted traffic zones/low emission zones within the city centre (Umweltzone/green zone) where only cars displaying specific environmental badges/stickers (Feinstaub-Plaketten) are allowed to circulate. The badges/stickers can be obtained for €5 at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle, in the Bürgerämter in Frankfurt, at TÜV, DEKRA and car garages. You will need to bring your car ID (Fahrzeugschein) in order to buy them. Vehicles without an environmental badge/sticker may not pass through the green zone and penalties apply.
After your arrival in FrankfurtRegistration with the German authorities
If the duration of your traineeship exceeds 90 days, you are required to register your place of residence with one of the Bürgerämter (registration offices) of the relevant town/city within seven days of arrival. You will need to show your passport. Make sure that you do not leave it at the Bürgeramt; wait and take it with you.
If your initial traineeship is shorter than 90 days, but is subsequently extended to more than 90 days, you will also need to register your place of residence within seven days of your traineeship extension. You will also have to show your passport. Do not leave your passport at the Bürgeramt; wait and take it with you.
If you are married, or have children, the original marriage and birth certificates need to be provided with the International Certificate or a certified German translation. If you are divorced, the same applies for the divorce certificate.
As a trainee at the ECB, you do not need to apply for an Aufenthaltserlaubnis (residence permit).
Your salary and benefits can be paid into any account in the European Union, provided that your bank is SEPA-compliant. You can also open a bank account in Germany (leaflets on the various banks are available at the Staff Info Point in room HS 15.10 of the main building).
Many banks require their clients to register their place of residence at a local Bürgeramt (please see the section Registration with the German authorities) before opening a new bank account.
Provide us with your bank account details either:
- by completing the bank account form
- or by e-mailing them
at the latest within the first three days of starting work at the ECB to ensure that you are paid on the 15th of the month.
ECB Health insurance
The ECB offers health insurance cover to trainees for a monthly premium of €77.58, one-third of which is borne by the trainee and two-thirds by the ECB. For more information on the scheme, see the respective brochure. If you wish to be covered by the scheme, please inform the ECB by e-mail.
Other health insurance schemes
However, if you wish to retain your current insurance cover, you will need to provide us with a copy of your medical insurance card (e.g. the European Health Insurance Card, which can be obtained from the authorities in your home country). In this case, all related contributions will have to be borne by you.
Participation in the ECB’s accident insurance scheme is compulsory for all trainees. It provides 24-hour worldwide cover against all work-related accidents. The insurance also provides for work-related accidental death and disability benefits.
Cost of accident insurance
For trainees, the total premium for this insurance is borne fully by the ECB.
Cover for dependants
Family members are not covered by this insurance.
On your first working day, you are able to order a ticket for public transportation – it is offered by the ECB in cooperation with RMV, the Frankfurt regional public transportation association, and it offers attractive discounts up to 38% vs. regular RMV seasonal tickets.