Women in Economics Scholarship
We are offering grants, of €10,000 each, to five female economics students.
Are you a woman about to start, or already enrolled in, a Master’s in economics at a university or business school in Europe? If so, our Women in Economics Scholarship could be for you!
The funding is intended to help finance the recipients’ studies. If selected, you’ll also have the opportunity to visit the European Central Bank to gain an insight into our cutting-edge research, and to learn about the career opportunities we offer.
Economics is a diverse field. We are seeking applications from students interested in a broad range of topics – not limited to central banking.
- You are a woman
- You are an EU citizen (including UK citizens)
- You are currently enrolled, or about to enrol, in a Master’s qualification in economics at a European university or business school
- You have a financial need, and the funding gap may prevent you from pursuing your studies
- You obtained excellent grades in your undergraduate studies (corresponding grades are outlined below for some countries; for other countries, grades of an equivalent level are required)
|Country in which you completed or are completing your Bachelor’s degree||Required average grade for our scholarship|
|Czech Republic||1-1.99 or 80-100|
|Hungary||4-5 or 80-100|
|Malta||A to A+ or 80-100|
|Sweden||4-5 or A- to A|
|United States||A- to A|
(* equivalent to cum laude)
What’s in it for you?
- A grant of €10,000
- A study-visit to the ECB in the academic year 2019-20
- Insights into the ECB’s cutting-edge economic research
- The opportunity to meet your fellow scholars and the ECB Women in Leadership network
- Advice and mentoring from an ECB economist
How it works
- Apply (see link below) by creating your profile (in English language)
As part of your application, you will need to:
- Explain the motivation behind your studies and detail your career aspirations
- Outline your current funding situation
Together with your application, you will need to submit the following:
- Proof of (preliminary) acceptance to, or enrolment in, a Master’s course in economics for the academic year 2019/20. We accept degrees with a major in economics or with a specialisation (such as international economics, monetary economics, econometrics, development economics, environmental economics)
- Official transcripts of your undergraduate qualifications, your academic record and (if applicable) evidence of your highest level of studies previously completed
Timing & Selection process
- Apply by 19 June 2019
- After the closing date for submitting applications we will draw up a shortlist of candidates
- If you are shortlisted, we will invite you to an online interview by the end of June – these will be held during the first two weeks of July
- The recipients of this year’s scholarships will be notified by the end of July 2019
Not sure whether you are eligible? Don’t know if your Master’s programme qualifies? Get in touch with us in a live chat on Graduateland on 12 June 2019 between 13:00 and 14:30, or by writing to us at WomenInEconomics@ecb.europa.eu
Please also read the Terms & Conditions of the scholarship carefully before applying.
Why do we offer this scholarship?
The economics profession lags behind in terms of gender balance. With this scholarship we at the ECB want to support women’s career development in the wider field of economics as well as in central banking.
We are looking forward to receiving your applications.