Opções de pesquisa
Página inicial Sala de Imprensa Notas explicativas Estudos e publicações Estatísticas Política monetária O euro Pagamentos e mercados Carreiras
Ordenar por
Não disponível em português

Fixed-term employee

There are several administrative details you need to take care of before you start your employment with the ECB. Within the first few days of arriving in Germany you will also need to register with the German authorities and, if need be, open a SEPA compliant bank account.

The time it takes to obtain a criminal record certificate can vary substantially depending on your country of residence. Make sure you start this procedure as soon as you are sure that you are going to join the ECB.

Security clearance

Before coming to Frankfurt

Documents to be provided before the start of employment

Once you have been offered a position, please upload the following documents, as soon as possible, for contract preparation to the Recruitment portal and confirm your acceptance of the contract offer via the link sent to you by email:

  • a copy of your passport/ID card
  • a copy of your highest educational qualification (e.g. bachelor’s or master’s degree certificate) in the language it was originally issued in
  • certificates of employment or reference letters confirming your work history (i.e. confirming work periods and job titles), please note that the originals may be requested at any time during your contract period

Once you have received your employment contract, please make sure you return a signed copy as soon as possible and download/keep a copy for your own records. In addition, please send the documents listed below by post to the Security Division:

  • the privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates
  • the original criminal record certificate (does not need to be translated into English)
  • a copy of your passport/ID card (please note that you will be required to show your passport/ID card on your first day at the ECB)

The medical certificate (see the link below) must be submitted to the Medical Centre by email or by post (full details are available on the form).

On your first day at the ECB, you will receive a notification with a link asking you to review your personal data and submit your bank account details via the "Start HR Process" app.

If applicable, once you have joined the ECB, you will need to submit a copy of your marriage or recognition-of-partnership certificate; a copy of the passport/ID of your spouse/partner; and a copy of the passports/IDs and birth certificates of any children using the relevant e-form via the “Start HR Process” app. 

Security clearance

To protect the institution and its reputation, the ECB employs only individuals whose capacity to maintain high standards of professional ethics in the performance of their duties at the ECB is not called into question. Therefore, please submit the completed privacy statement and security self-declaration form for selected candidates and a criminal record certificate (which does not need to be translated into English) before commencing employment.

Please send both documents in the original by post to:

European Central Bank
Security Division - Clearance
Sonnemannstrasse 20
60314 Frankfurt am Main

To facilitate the security clearance process:

  • send both documents together
  • use your official name consistently on all documents
  • ensure that all fields are filled in
  • make sure your handwriting is legible
  • send them to the Security Division – not to the HR department

Useful information:

  • We do not reimburse the cost of obtaining a criminal record certificate.
  • Your security clearance will be granted solely on the basis of these two documents.
  • In most cases, we process security clearance within five working days.
  • Please contact us via e-mail if you have any concerns or questions regarding security clearance.

Have a look at the introduction to security clearance for more information.

Security self-declaration form Introduction to security clearance

Medical clearance

Medical clearance is mandatory for all employees starting at the ECB on a fixed-term contract. This also applies if you have already worked for the ECB on a different type of contract.

You do not have to undergo a medical examination if you have already been given medical clearance under a previous fixed-term contract awarded within the past three years.


Your general practitioner needs to perform a medical examination, complete, stamp and sign the medical clearance certificate.

Please send the signed medical clearance certificate to the ECB Medical Centre at least ten days before your contract starts.

The medical clearance certificate must be provided in English, irrespective of where the examination takes place.

Disclaimer: It is the responsibility of the doctor who performs the medical clearance examination, to bring to the candidate's attention if any clinically significant abnormalities are found in the examination. This is not the responsibility of the ECB.

You can send the invoice to the HR operation partner from your business area for reimbursement.

Medical clearance

Workplace adjustments

Please note that the ECB is an equal opportunity employer and will support reasonable adaptations at the workplace as may be required for health or disability reasons to ensure that you are able to work in the most optimal manner. In case you would like to benefit from potential adaptions (also referred to as ‘reasonable accommodation’) in view of a disability or specific medical condition, please feel free to reach out to the ECB Medical Centre to discuss your needs already before your first day of appointment. Upon your consent (via simple Email to the ECB Medical Centre) the ECB Medical Adviser will also be available to discuss with your personal doctor which accommodations might be useful to support your work at the ECB. The Medical Centre will treat any information in a strictly confidential manner and not share any medical data with anybody else in the ECB. The Medical Centre is there to support you at your workplace. Medical.centre@ecb.europa.eu


Working far from home comes with certain challenges and we know it. To offset the cost of moving your residence to Frankfurt, the ECB offers a number of appointment benefits and services.

As you have been offered a fixed-term contract, you will be working at the ECB for a longer period of time. If your place of recruitment is more than 50 km from the ECB, you will be entitled to relocation services and removal services or you may prefer to stay in temporary accommodation until you decide on the longer-term accommodation.

Relocation service

Packimpex will help you and your family relocate to the Frankfurt area. This relocation service, which is fully covered by the ECB, includes:

  • finding suitable rental accommodation and accompanying you on property viewings
  • helping you to negotiate with the landlord
  • checking the rental agreement and providing guidance on any legal/regulatory issues
  • taking care of the handover process before you move in

However, please note that while the ECB covers the services provided by Packimpex, you will be liable for any additional costs arising from the use of these services.

Packimpex contact details


+49 69 80 88 58 68

Temporary accommodation

If you do not know Frankfurt, we recommend that you familiarise yourself with the city before deciding on your longer-term accommodation.

Various property websites provide information if you want to look for your temporary or permanent accommodation – simply type the words "Frankfurt Immobilien" into a search engine.

Removal services

If you have been hired from a location more than 50 kilometres away from the ECB and are moving to the Frankfurt area, the ECB will reimburse your removal costs.

What do you need to do?

Your removal costs will be reimbursed if the procedure outlined below is followed.

  • Request (at least) three quotations: If you are entitled to reimbursement of removal costs, you should contact three different removal companies of your choice and ask them for quotations that include the cubic metres (CBM). You should ensure that the offers you receive are binding and not subject to further changes. Once you have received them, fill in the declaration of honour and send it together with the quotations to removal@ecb.europa.eu

Note: we recommend that you contact removal companies as soon as you have been selected for a job. The removal industry is usually very busy, especially in July and August.

  • Assessment phase: The ECB’s Human Resources Directorate will then assess the quotations and approve the reimbursement of the amount specified in the cheapest offer. You will be informed of the result as soon as possible.

Note: while reimbursement of your removal costs will be limited to the cheapest offer received, you are free to choose another removal company. However, you would need to bear any excess costs going beyond the approved reimbursement amount.

Please note that, should the three quotations submitted appear excessive, the ECB reserves the right to seek quotations from other removal companies.

What's covered?

The personal effects of the staff member and their family members are included in normal removal costs. Removal expenses related to pets (e.g. dogs and cats), bigger animals (e.g. horses) and cars can also be reimbursed.

Expenses incurred in the alteration, fitting, or extension of furniture and/or other effects will not be reimbursed. Any costs related to services provided by craftsmen such as electricians, carpenters or plumbers (for the installation and adjustment of built-in kitchens or similar at the new location) are also not covered.

What about removal insurance?

The ECB will reimburse the related cost of insurance. Please ask your chosen service providers to include the cost of insurance in their offers – the insurance is meant to cover the full value of your belongings or any damage incurred during the removal. Each removal company should inform you about what needs to be done to ensure that your personal belongings are adequately insured (this involves completing the related value declaration).

Travel arrangements

If the distance from your place of residence to the ECB exceeds 50 km and irrespective of the means of transport used, the ECB pays the following lump sums on appointment of service (aimed at covering all travel costs):

  Up to 500 km 500-1,500 km Over 1,500 km
Member of staff, spouse or recognised partner

EUR 397

EUR 544

EUR 686

Dependent child

EUR 337

EUR 482

EUR 627

Useful information

There are restricted traffic zones/low emission zones within the city centre (Umweltzone/green zone) where only cars displaying specific environmental badges/stickers (Feinstaub-Plaketten) are allowed to circulate. The badges/stickers can be obtained for €5 at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle, in the Bürgerämter in Frankfurt, at TÜV, DEKRA and from car garages. You will need to bring your car ID (Fahrzeugschein) in order to purchase one. Vehicles without an environmental badge/sticker may not pass through the green zone and penalties apply.

After your arrival in Frankfurt

At the ECB we care about you and your family and the time you spend together. That’s why we offer a range of flexible working arrangements such as part-time and teleworking and the possibility to apply for special leave for personal or family reasons. New parents have the possibility to apply for paid maternity leave and unpaid parental leave. Furthermore, as a means to pursue your personal needs or aspirations, there are opportunities to request unpaid leave on personal grounds or to take up appointment with another organisation.

Employment contract

Your contract specifies your period of employment with the ECB, your position title and working arrangements, as well as your gross annual salary.

In addition to this salary, you may be entitled to an expatriation allowance and several family-related allowances, as well as benefits on appointment.

Net Salary Table
Salary band Fixed-term contract
Minimum monthly net salary*
Short-term contract
Minimum monthly net salary*
  Bracket 1
Step 1
Bracket 2
Step 1
Bracket 3
Step 1
Bracket 1
Step 1
Bracket 2
Step 1
Bracket 3
Step 1
A €2,841 €3,069   €3,707 €3,999  
B €3,084 €3,332   €4,018 €4,333  
C €3,432 €3,845   €4,459 €4,971  
D €3,960 €4,426   €5,114 €5,688  
E €4,611 €5,135   €5,914 €6,547  
E/F €4,611 €5,135 €5,828 €5,914 €6,547 €7,370
F €5,438 €6,114   €6,909 €7,708  
F/G €5,438 €6,032 €6,807 €6,909 €7,613 €8,505
G €6,380 €7,128   €8,020 €8,855  
H €7,699 €8,450   €9,462 €10,302  
I €8,282 €9,037   €10,111 €11,029  
J €8,938 €9,716 €10,772 €10,899 €11,914 €13,290
K €11,579          
L €13,277          
* Full time position, with deductions for social contributions: accident insurance (mandatory), health and long term care insurances (optional) and pension.
For fixed-term contracts, 20.7334% of your basic salary is paid into the ECB pension scheme. For short-term contracts, the same percentage is paid as cash equivalent hence the higher minimum basic net salary.

Allowances and benefits

We also offer several allowances and benefits on appointment.

If you are recruited from outside Germany, you may be entitled to an expatriation allowance. A household allowance, a child allowance and an education allowance can also be granted to you depending on your personal circumstances. You can also benefit from:

Subsistence allowance

You are eligible for a subsistence allowance of €103 per day for a maximum of 90 days if you decide to temporarily maintain your current residence, and continue to do so during the entire period for which the subsistence allowance is requested, while you are still in temporary accommodation in the Frankfurt area.

Once a removal to the Frankfurt area is finalised, this is interpreted as your having settled in permanent accommodation and, therefore, the entitlement to subsistence allowance ceases.

“Current residence” means the accommodation in which you lived for at least three months before joining the ECB, i.e. in your home country or in the country where you were employed or lived when you were recruited by the ECB. NB: you are not eligible for benefits on appointment if, prior to the fixed-term contract, you were providing services to the ECB on an agency or consultancy contract, in which case your place of recruitment is considered to be Frankfurt.

The allowance increases by €23 per day for each family member accompanying you during your contract period.

Installation allowance

In order to cover any additional costs that may incur when settling in Frankfurt, and upon presentation of a copy of the rental contract, we will pay you a provisional allowance of one month’s basic salary. This is an advance payment in the first month of your contract. However, your entitlement exists only if you complete the probationary period. This allowance can increase to two month’s basic salary, depending on your family circumstances.

Depending on your entitlement, you can submit your claim for allowances and other benefits via the Start HR Process app once you have joined the ECB.

Public transportation benefit

On your first working day, you are able to order a ticket for public transportation – it is offered by the ECB in cooperation with RMV, the Frankfurt regional public transportation association, and it offers attractive discounts up to 38% vs. regular RMV seasonal tickets.

Work/life balance

At the ECB we care about you and your family and the time you spend together. That’s why we offer a range of flexible working arrangements such as part-time and teleworking and the possibility to apply for special leave for personal or family reasons.

New parents have the possibility to apply for paid maternity leave and unpaid parental leave. Furthermore, as a means to pursue your personal needs or aspirations, there are opportunities to request unpaid leave on personal grounds or to take up appointment with another organisation.

Health insurance

ECB health insurance

The ECB offers health insurance administered and re-insured by Allianz Care. The legally binding insurance conditions are contained in the ECB’s Staff Rules.

You can opt either to be covered by this plan or to retain your current insurance cover (in which case you must provide the ECB with proof of cover, e.g. a copy of your insurance card). You can inform us of your decision via Start HR Process app once you have joined the ECB.

Cost of ECB health insurance

A monthly contribution – a third of the total cost – will be deducted from your pay if you choose to be covered by the ECB’s plan. The ECB will pay the remaining two-thirds.

Cover for dependants

Your dependent children and spouse/recognised partner (depending on his/her income) can also be covered under the ECB’s plan. It is not possible to cover further family members or other dependants under the ECB’s plan.

In order to add your dependants to the health insurance scheme you will need to submit the following:

  • a copy of your marriage certificate/recognition of partnership
  • evidence of your spouse’s/recognised partner’s gross annual income for the previous year
  • a copy of the birth certificates of any children

This can be done via the Start HR Process app once you have joined the ECB.

Long-term care insurance

The ECB also offers long-term care insurance to cover the risk of extended loss of autonomy.

You will only be covered by the long-term care insurance, if you have ECB health insurance.

Cost of the long-term care insurance

A monthly contribution – a third of the total cost – will be deducted from your basic salary. The ECB will pay the remaining two-thirds.

Cover for dependants

Your dependent children and spouse/recognised partner (depending on their income) can also be covered under the ECB’s long-term care insurance subject to medical clearance and provided they are insured in the ECB health insurance. It is not possible to cover further family members or other dependants under the ECB’s long-term care insurance.

Staff Rules: Long-term care insurance

Accident insurance

Participation in the ECB’s accident insurance scheme is compulsory for all ECB staff members. It provides 24-hour worldwide cover against all work and non-work related accidents. It also covers accidental death and disability benefits.

Cost of the accident insurance

One-third of the premium is paid by staff members, while the remaining two-thirds are paid by the ECB.

Cover for dependants

Family members are not covered by this insurance.

Advisory service on non-ECB health and long-term care insurance

When you start working at the ECB you may have questions about your insurance – should I participate in the ECB health and long-term care insurance? What benefits does it cover and how do they compare to my current plan? Should I include my family members? What options do I have when leaving the ECB? Can I go back to the national health system in my home country once I leave the ECB?

The ECB’s external insurance advisor, Funk Vorsorgeberatung GmbH (Funk), will answer your questions and provide the information you need to make a decision.


Funk can be reached by phone +49 30 250092-911 from Monday to Friday, 10:00-15:00 CET or via email to Insurance.Advisory@funk-gruppe.de.


If you join the ECB on a fixed-term contract, you will automatically become member in the ECB Pension Scheme. The Scheme provides you with leaving benefits or an income after you retire from the ECB. It also provides benefits for your family in the event of your death.

The mandatory monthly pension contribution is paid both by you and by the ECB. Your part of the contribution is deducted from your salary before tax.

In addition, you can choose to make monthly contributions of up to 12% of your basic salary before tax and thereby enjoy additional benefits upon retirement.

Please visit the Pension area on the Intranet for further details upon joining the ECB.

Rules of the Pension scheme Contact the Pension team

Crèche and schooling

Childcare facilities

Staff on contracts of longer than 12 months have the opportunity to enroll their children aged between three months and six years in one of the ECB’s crèches (kindergarten). Due to the limited number of places the allocation of places is administered via a waiting list. Places may only become available after several months of waiting time, depending on the age of your child and your desired start date. It’s recommended to explore alternative childcare options in Frankfurt in parallel. The ECB Childcare Mediation service provides assistance in this search.

European School Frankfurt

If your children are over the age of four, they can join the European School Frankfurt (ESF) in the pre-primary, primary or secondary cycle. The school has four language sections (German, English, French and Italian) and offers mother tongue tuition in all EU languages. As an ECB staff member, you are exempt from paying the tuition fees, but extra-curricular activities and meals must be paid for. Please refer to the website of the ESF for further details.

European School Frankfurt

Other schools

In addition to German state schools, Frankfurt is well endowed with a range of international schools.

If they occur, fees for these schools have to be paid by the member of staff directly, but a portion of them will be reimbursed by the ECB on the basis of the education allowance.

Please see the section Life in Frankfurt for further information

Life in Frankfurt

Integration of spouses/recognised partners

The ECB is fully aware of the difficulties involved in relocating to Frankfurt for an extended period and wishes to support your spouse/recognised partner in having a smooth integration in the new community.

Further information about what is available for your spouse and what you should know about the city of Frankfurt can be found under.

Life in Frankfurt

Registration with the German authorities

Within two weeks of arriving in Germany, ECB staff members and their families must register their place of residence with one of the Bürgerämter (registration offices) of the town/city in which they live. This must be done in person. You do not have to register if your stay in Germany will not exceed three months. But it is advisable to do so if your contract with the ECB is likely to be extended beyond this time period (as it may help avoid an unnecessary fine).

If you are married, or have children, the original marriage and birth certificates need to be provided with the International Certificate or a certified German translation. If you are divorced, the same applies for the divorce certificate.

You will also need to present a letter from your landlord/rental property manager confirming that you are renting accommodation. This letter has to include the name and address of the landlord/rental property manager, the date on which you will be moving in, the address of the rental property and your name. Failure to comply could result in a €1,000 fine for the landlord.

Planning to live in Frankfurt?

A full list of registration offices in Frankfurt can be found here.

Note that you will receive a verbal warning if you only manage to register with the Frankfurt authorities between two and four weeks of taking up residence in this city. Thereafter, you may be fined. Fines start at €15 and the amount payable will depend on the length of the delay.

EU nationals do not need a residence permit

A German residence permit is not required for EU nationals. The Meldebescheinigung (the certificate issued when registering your place of residence with a local registration office, i.e. a Bürgeramt) – together with your personal ID card or passport – is sufficient proof that you are officially registered in Germany as a citizen of another EU country.

Visa requirements for non-EU spouses

Non-EU spouses planning to join an ECB spouse in Germany, nationals of countries for which an entry visa is compulsory (visumpflichtige Staaten), will need to apply for a D visa at the German embassy/consulate where they reside before coming to Germany. Please notify your HR contact at the ECB as soon as possible if this applies to your spouse. Our Staff Info Point will then try to help with the visa process by officially notifying the Auswärtiges Amt (German Federal Foreign Office). Further information on visa requirements can be obtained from the website of the Auswärtiges Amt.

Once the non-EU spouse has entered Germany, he/she must register with a Bürgeramt (registration office) together with the ECB staff member. Please then apply for a Sonderausweis (special ID card) as soon as possible through our Staff Info Point. With the Sonderausweis, non-EU citizens who are family members of ECB employees are entitled to live and work in Germany.

Visa requirements for non-EU partners

Non-EU partners are not entitled to a Sonderausweis. Unlike non-EU spouses, they must go through the normal process of applying for a regular residence and work permit at the Ausländeramt (Aliens' Office). The same applies if the non-EU partner can already live and work in another EU country.

Currently, non-EU nationals have to contend with a rather long and difficult permit application process. So you are advised to check what the requirements are with the nearest German embassy/consulate before leaving your country of residence. This could help prevent disappointment later on.

Bank account

Your salary and benefits can be paid into any account in the European Union, provided that your bank is SEPA-compliant. You can also open a bank account in Germany (leaflets on the various banks are available at the Staff Info Point in room HS 15.10 of the main building).

Many banks require their clients to register their place of residence at a local Bürgeramt (please see the section on Registration with the German authorities) before they can open a new bank account.

Your bank account details can be provided by completing your personal data via the Start HR Process app once you joined the ECB.

Todas as páginas desta secção