Clarifications concerning the data attributes “number of employees”, “balance sheet total” and “annual turnover”
- Question ID: 2018/0046
- Date of publication: 20/08/2018
- Subject matter: Counterparty reference data
- AnaCredit Manual: Part II
- Data attribute: Number of employees, Balance sheet total, Annual turnover
Could you please confirm that the three “size-related” data attributes should be reported considering a different scope of consolidation than is envisioned for the calculation of the “enterprise size” data attribute itself? Could you please also clarify how often the data attributes should be updated?
Please note that differently from the data attribute “enterprise size” (for the calculation of which partner and linked enterprises are also considered), the data attributes “number of employees”, “balance sheet total” and “annual turnover” are calculated only in relation to the counterparty itself, i.e. without considering any partner enterprise or linked enterprise. This means that the value reported for this data attribute, as part of the data record of the head office representing the whole legal entity, is assessed taking into account the number of employees of the head office (with all its domestic offices) and of all foreign branches of the legal entity (if any) (see Q&A 2017/1).
Furthermore, as regards the data attributes “number of employees”, “balance sheet total” and “annual turnover”, please note that:
- the “number of employees” of the counterparty is equivalent to the concept of “staff headcount” described in Article 5 of Recommendation 2003/361/EC;
- the “balance sheet total” is the carrying amount of the counterparty’s total assets; and
- the “annual turnover” corresponds to the value of the counterparty’s annual sales net of all discounts and sales taxes.
Finally, these data attributes are updated whenever the reporting agent is aware of a change thereof based on the latest approved accounting statement of the counterparty, and at least when a new instrument is issued vis-à-vis the counterparty.