- 24 August 2007
- OCCASIONAL PAPER SERIES - No. 70Details
- The present paper does not claim to solve the Columbus' egg conundrum. There even may not be a "silver bullet"
- JEL Code
- E : Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
- 31 July 2008
- WORKING PAPER SERIES - No. 918Imports and profitability in the euro area manufacturing sector: the role of emerging market economiesDetails
- The paper analyses the impact of import penetration on firms' profitability in 15 manufacturing industries in 10 euro area countries during 1995-2004, focusing on the role of emerging market economies. Our results indicate that import competition from emerging market economies has had an overall negative impact on companies' profitability in the euro area manufacturing sector, especially for imports coming from China and Russia. However, similar negative effects are also estimated for imports from the United States. In contrast, imports from Latin America are estimated to be positively correlated with profitability. Finally, we find asymmetric effects on profitability across euro area countries and sectors.
- JEL Code
- L11 : Industrial Organization→Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance→Production, Pricing, and Market Structure, Size Distribution of Firms
L13 : Industrial Organization→Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance→Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
F12 : International Economics→Trade→Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies, Fragmentation
C23 : Mathematical and Quantitative Methods→Single Equation Models, Single Variables→Panel Data Models, Spatio-temporal Models