Sixth ECB Annual Research Conference
30 and 31 August 2021
This is the sixth edition of the Annual Research Conference, the ECB’s flagship research event. The conference features research paper presentations by leading economists on topics relevant for a central bank. The highlight is the Jean Monnet Lecture, delivered this year by Nobel laureate Esther Duflo.
* An asterisk indicates the author presenting the relevant paper.
Luc Laeven, Director General Research, European Central Bank
How to Talk When a Machine is Listening? Corporate Disclosure in the Age of AI
- Sean Cao, Georgia State University
- Wei Jiang*, Columbia Business School
- Baozhong Yang, Georgia State University
- Alan L. Zhang, Georgia State University
Discussant: Christopher Hennessy, London Business School
The Work-from-Home Technology Boon and its Consequences
- Morris A. Davis, Rutgers University
- Andra C. Ghent*, University of Utah
- Jesse M. Gregory, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Discussant: Abigail Adams-Prassl, University of Oxford
Jean Monnet Lecture - Good economics for hard times
Esther Duflo, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Chair: Isabel Schnabel, Member of the Executive Board, European Central Bank
End of day one
Who Is Afraid of Eurobonds?
- Francesco Bianchi*, Duke University
- Leonardo Melosi, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Anna Rogantini Picco, Sveriges Riksbank
Discussant: Stephanie Schmitt-Grohé, Columbia University
The Great Lockdown and the Big Stimulus: Tracing the Pandemic Possibility Frontier for the U.S.
- Greg Kaplan, University of Chicago
- Benjamin Moll, London School of Economics
- Giovanni L. Violante*, Princeton University
Discussant: Alessandra Fogli, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
Central Bank Digital Currency: Welfare and Policy Implications
Stephen Williamson, University of Western Ontario
Discussant: Monika Piazzesi, Stanford University
End of conference
This programme may be subject to change without notice.
Audiovisual notice: Please note that the entire event will be recorded and proceedings published on You Tube shortly after the conference. The Jean Monnet lecture will be live-streamed on You Tube and ECB pages.
Luc Laeven, Marie Hoerova, Bartosz Maćkowiak, Alexander Popov (all European Central Bank)
- Bartosz Maćkowiak Bartosz.Mackowiak@ecb.europa.eu
- Sabine Wiedemann ARConference@ecb.europa.eu