- PRESS RELEASE
- 20 February 2020
Euro area financial vehicle corporation statistics: fourth quarter of 2019
- In the fourth quarter of 2019 the outstanding amount of debt securities issued by euro area financial vehicle corporations (FVCs) engaged in securitisation increased to €1,551 billion, from €1,510 billion at the end of the previous quarter.
- Net issuance of debt securities by FVCs during the fourth quarter of 2019 amounted to €47 billion.
- Euro area FVCs' holdings of securitised loans stood at €1,288 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2019; the net acquisitions of securitised loans held by FVCs amounted to €2 billion.
Debt securities issued by euro area FVCsData for debt securities issued by euro area FVCs
The outstanding amount of debt securities issued by euro area FVCs was €1,551 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2019, €41 billion higher than at the end of the previous quarter. Over the same period, transactions amounted to a net issuance of €47 billion (see Chart 1). The annual growth rate of debt securities issued, calculated on the basis of transactions, increased to 5.8% in the fourth quarter of 2019, from 5.0% in the previous quarter.
Euro area FVCs' holdings of securitised loans – accounting for most of the assets backing the debt securities issued – increased to €1,288 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2019, from €1,280 billion at the end of the previous quarter, accounted for by net acquisitions of €2 billion (see Chart 2). Net acquisitions of securitised loans originated by euro area monetary financial institutions (MFIs) amounted to €1 billion.
Loans securitised by FVCs by originator
(quarterly transactions in EUR billions; not seasonally adjusted)Data for loans securitised by FVCs by originator
Turning to the borrowing sector of securitised loans, loans to euro area households amounted to €764 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2019, with a net disposal of €1 billion during the fourth quarter of 2019, while loans to euro area non-financial corporations amounted to €368 billion, with a net acquisition of €3 billion.
Among the other assets of euro area FVCs, deposits and loan claims amounted to €190 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2019, predominantly claims on euro area MFIs (€108 billion). There was also a net acquisition of deposits and loan claims during the quarter of €4 billion. Holdings of debt securities amounted to €333 billion at the end of the fourth quarter 2019, while net acquisitions amounted to €21 billion. Other securitised assets held by FVCs – including for example trade, tax and other receivables – amounted to €106 billion, with negligible net transactions.
AnnexTable: Annex to the press release on euro area financial vehicle corporations
For media queries, please contact Stefan Ruhkamp, tel.: +49 69 1344 5057.
- Hyperlinks in the main body of the press release and in annex tables lead to data that may change with subsequent releases as a result of revisions. Figures shown in annex tables are a snapshot of the data as at the time of the current release.
European Central Bank
Directorate General Communications
- Sonnemannstrasse 20
- 60314 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- +49 69 1344 7455
Reproduction is permitted provided that the source is acknowledged.Media contacts