- PRESS RELEASE
- 24 May 2018
Euro area financial vehicle corporation statistics: first quarter of 2018
- In the first quarter of 2018 the outstanding amount of debt securities issued by euro area financial vehicle corporations (FVCs) engaged in securitisation decreased to €1,411 billion, from €1,413 billion at the end of the previous quarter.
- Net issuance of debt securities by FVCs during the first quarter of 2018 amounted to €4 billion.
- Over the same period net acquisitions of securitised loans held by FVCs amounted to €8 billion.
Debt securities issued by euro area FVCs
Download data for debt securities issued by euro area FVCs
The outstanding amount of debt securities issued by euro area FVCs was €1,411 billion at the end of the first quarter of 2018, €2 billion lower than at the end of the previous quarter. Over the same period, transactions amounted to a net issuance of €4 billion. The annual growth rate of debt securities issued, calculated on the basis of transactions, increased to 0.6% in the first quarter of 2018, from -0.2% in the previous quarter.
Euro area FVCs' holdings of securitised loans – accounting for most of the assets backing the debt securities issued – increased to €1,227 billion at the end of the first quarter of 2018, from €1,222 billion at the end of the previous quarter, mainly accounted for by net acquisitions of €8 billion. Net acquisitions of securitised loans originated by euro area monetary financial institutions (MFIs) amounted to €4 billion.
Loans securitised by FVCs by originator
(quarterly transactions in EUR billions; not seasonally adjusted)
Download data for loans securitised by FVCs by originator
Turning to the borrowing sector of securitised loans, loans to euro area households at €771 billion at the end of the first quarter of 2018, with a net acquisition of €9 billion during the first quarter of 2018 while loans to euro area non-financial corporations amounted to €314 billion, with a net disposal of €3 billion.
Among the other assets of euro area FVCs, deposits and loan claims amounted to €184 billion at the end of the first quarter of 2018, predominantly claims on euro area MFIs (€109 billion). There was a net disposal of deposits and loan claims during the quarter of €5 billion. Holdings of debt securities amounted to €227 billion at the end of the first quarter 2018, while net acquisitions amounted to €4 billion. Other securitised assets held by FVCs – including for example trade, tax and other receivables – amounted to €102 billion, with net disposals of €2 billion during the quarter.
AnnexTable: Annex to the press release on euro area financial vehicle corporations
For media queries, please contact Stefan Ruhkamp, tel.: +49 69 1344 5057.
- The hyperlinks in the main body of the press release are dynamic. The data they lead to may therefore change with subsequent data releases as a result of revisions. Links to tables provided in the annex refer to a snapshot of the data as at the time of the current release.
European Central Bank
Directorate General Communications
- Sonnemannstrasse 20
- 60314 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- +49 69 1344 7455
Reproduction is permitted provided that the source is acknowledged.Media contacts