- PRESS RELEASE
ECB joins European data and cloud network initiative
17 November 2022
- ECB joins Gaia-X to help build European data ecosystem
- Gaia-X Association aims to boost European digital sovereignty
The European Central Bank (ECB) today became a member of Gaia-X, a non-profit association advocating digital sovereignty for Europe.
Gaia-X develops common standards for digital services like cloud services. This allows data to be collected and shared in an environment of trust. This will support the digital transformation of the economy and is in line with the European Commission’s digital strategy.
These common standards make services interoperable, meaning that users can combine different digital services in the way that best meets their specific needs. For example, they will be able to store their data with one service provider and analyse those data with the services offered by another.
The common standards developed by Gaia-X will also enable users of digital services to retain control of their own data. Data owners can for instance ensure that their data are solely stored in Europe and subject to European law.
For media queries, please contact François Peyratout, tel.: +49 172 8632 119.
- The Gaia-X Association for Data and Cloud AISBL (“Gaia-X”) is an international non-profit association with more than 350 members. The goal of Gaia-X is to create an open, transparent and secure federated digital ecosystem, where data and services adhere to common standards and can be freely and securely built, collated and shared.
- Joining Gaia-X means that the ECB will pay a membership fee, contribute its IT expertise and participate in the governance of the association.
European Central Bank
Directorate General Communications
- Sonnemannstrasse 20
- 60314 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- +49 69 1344 7455
Reproduction is permitted provided that the source is acknowledged.Media contacts