Change in senior management at the European Central Bank
8 October 2008
The Executive Board of the European Central Bank (ECB) has recently appointed the following persons:
- Mr. Frank Smets as Director General Research. Mr. Smets took up his duties on 15 September 2008. He succeeded Ms. Lucrezia Reichlin, who resigned from her position with effect from that date. Mr. Smets has held the position as Deputy Director General Research since 2005. Before joining the ECB in 1998, he held assignments at the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) and the Rijksuniversiteit Gent.
- Mr. Georges Pineau as the ECB's permanent representative in Washington, D.C. with observer status at the International Monetary Fund (IMF). Mr. Pineau will take up his duties on 1 November 2008. He will succeed Mr. Johannes de Beaufort Wijnholds, who retires as of that date. Mr. Pineau has held the position of Deputy Director General International & European Relations at the ECB since 1998. Mr. Pineau joined the ECB’s forerunner institution, the European Monetary Institute, upon its creation in 1994, after holding several offices at the BIS, IMF and Banque de France.
- Mr. Ton Roos as Director Banknotes. Mr. Roos will take up his duties on 1 November 2008. He will succeed Mr. Antti Heinonen, who will serve as Principal Adviser at the Directorate Banknotes as of this date until the end of the year and continue to serve as Chairperson of the Executive Committee of the Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group operating under the aegis of the G10 Governors. Mr. Roos has worked as Head of the Cash Policy Department at the De Nederlandsche Bank (DNB) since 2002. Before joining the DNB in 1999, he held various assignments at Akzo Nobel. Mr. Roos has been a member of the Banknote Committee since 1999.
- Mr. Werner Studener as Director Internal Finance. Mr. Studener will take up his duties on 1 March 2009. He will succeed Mr. Ian Ingram who retires as of that date. Mr. Studener has held the position as Deputy Director General Market Operations since the inauguration of the ECB in 1998, before that he held various assignments at the Oesterreichische Nationalbank.
European Central Bank
Directorate General Communications
- Sonnemannstrasse 20
- 60314 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- +49 69 1344 7455
Reproduction is permitted provided that the source is acknowledged.Media contacts