Updated classification system between the reporting frameworks of the EBA and the ECB
In May 2014 the European Central Bank (ECB) and the European Banking Authority (EBA) jointly published (see EBA website) the third version of the bridging manual for their respective reporting frameworks, featuring:
- the final implementing technical standards (ITS) on supervisory reporting for the CRD IV/CRR framework of April 2014;
- the ECB Regulation on securities holdings statistics of October 2012;
- ECB Regulations concerning balance sheet items (BSI) and interest rates (MIR) statistics of September 2013, thereby touching upon ESA2010;
- common modelling of the reporting frameworks with EBA’s Data Point Model (DPM).
The Joint Expert Group on Reconciliation of credit institutions’ statistical and supervisory reporting requirements (JEGR) was set up by the ESCB’s Statistics and Financial Stability Committees and the EBA in June 2008. Its mandate has been renewed twice (in 2010 and 2012).
The aims of the JEGR are to identify and promote common elements in the statistical and supervisory reporting frameworks relating to credit institutions (e.g. definitions, concepts, valuation rules, reporting templates) and, where possible, to reconcile them.
- A bridging manual linking the ECB’s statistical requirements on monetary, interest rate and securities holdings with the supervisory reporting templates (mainly FINREP, COREP and large exposures) of the ITS on supervisory reporting.
- A relational database that aims to help reporting agents and other users to identify similarities and differences between data for the ECB’s statistical purposes and data for financial supervisors in the context of the EBA framework. The ECB’s statistical reporting templates have been modelled in line with the EBA’s DPM framework exclusively for the analytical purposes of this database.
In order to help all interested parties in their preparations for the new requirements for supervisory reporting under the CRD IV/CRR framework, the third edition of the bridging manual is being published following endorsement of the final ITS on supervisory reporting by the European Commission on 16 April 2014, but before their publication in the Official Journal (due by mid-June 2014).
The publication also takes into account the requirements arising from the recent ECB Regulation on securities holdings statistics and a series of recast ECB Regulations from September 2013 (most prominently those concerning balance sheet items and interest rate statistics). In doing so, it touches on amendments triggered by the adoption of ESA2010. This is the most recent EU accounting framework for a systematic and detailed description of an economy.
Report and related documents
- Bridging the reporting requirements – methodological manual third edition
- Instructions for using the JEGR Relational Database
- JEGR Relational Database
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.