Call for papers
DEADLINE – 9 September 2012
ECB conference "Debt, Growth and Macroeconomic Policies"
6-7 December 2012
European Central Bank in Frankfurt, Germany
The Directorate General Economics and Directorate General Research of the European Central Bank are organising a conference entitled "Debt, Growth and Macroeconomic Policies", which will be held on 6 and 7 December 2012 in Frankfurt am Main. The conference will bring together researchers from academia and policy-making institutions to discuss the role of debt in medium-term macroeconomic performance and the implications for economic policy.
Timothy Kehoe (University of Minnesota) and Enrique Mendoza (University of Maryland)
Paper submissionWe invite the submission of theoretical and empirical contributions, including, but not limited to, papers on the following topics:
- interaction between private and sovereign indebtedness and growth;
- banks and growth: incentives for and distortions faced by banks; zombie lending; the role of private sector defaults; the impact of banks on productivity and capital accumulation;
- debt, credit crunch scenarios and macroeconomic policies: optimal speed of deleveraging; the role of regulation, macro-prudential tools and unconventional monetary policy measures;
- debt overhang and optimal monetary and fiscal policy; issues relating to sovereign default; and
- aspects specific to fixed exchange environments and monetary unions.
To submit a paper, please e-mail conf-DebtMacroPolicies@ecb.europa.eu, attaching the paper in pdf format, by 9 September 2012. We will notify the authors of accepted papers by 21 September 2012.
The travel and accommodation expenses of speakers and discussants will be reimbursed, with the exception of participants from the European System of Central Banks, who are expected to cover their own expenses.
Download the call for papers
Kai Christoffel, Stephan Fahr and Peter Karadi