Eurosystem to unveil the new €20 and support banknote equipment manufacturers and suppliers
EMBARGOTransmission embargo until 10 a.m. CET on Friday, 19 December 2014
- The Eurosystem will unveil the new Europa series €20 banknote on 24 February 2015. The new banknote will include improved security features.
- Banknote equipment manufacturers and suppliers will continue to receive support from the Eurosystem in adapting their machines and authentication devices.
The new €20 is the third banknote of the Europa series to be introduced after the €5 and €10. The ECB and the national central banks of the euro area – the Eurosystem – will unveil the banknote and announce its exact issuance date on 24 February 2015. The Europa series is being introduced to further improve the integrity of euro banknotes and to keep ahead of counterfeiters.
The Eurosystem is taking several measures to support banknote equipment manufacturers, suppliers and owners of machines and authentication devices:
- It is making the new banknote available to them at the euro area national central banks well before it is issued so they can test and adapt their machines and devices. After the unveiling, the new €20 can be tested outside the central banks.
- It is arranging a series of events and actions to prepare for the issuance of the new €20. The first of these events will be a Eurosystem seminar for relevant organisations that will be held at the Banca d’Italia in Rome on 6 February 2015.
- It is providing a range of communication tools and materials to help them get ready for the introduction of the new note.
“The ECB and the national central banks of the euro area look forward to working closely, once again, with the manufacturers, suppliers, operators and owners of banknote equipment. After all, it is they who prepare the machines and devices to accept this new banknote ahead of its issuance”, said Yves Mersch, Executive Board member of the European Central Bank.
For media inquiries, please contact William Lelieveldt, tel.: +49 69 1344 7316.