Navigation Path: Home > Publications
To mirror the six-week cycle for the Governing Council’s monetary policy meetings, the ECB has launched a new publication, the Economic Bulletin, which replaced the ECB Monthly Bulletin at the beginning of 2015.
It is published two weeks after each monetary policy meeting of the Governing Council.
Next publication: Issue 02/2015 on Thursday, 19 March 2015 at 10:00
For more background see the decision taken by the Governing Council on 19 December 2014.
Reports and publications related to banking supervision can be found on
All publications are available online and are no longer printed.
Various publications, like the Monthly Bulletin and the Annual Report, are also available in e-Pub format which optimises the content of online publications for handheld devices such as e-readers and tablet PCs.
Description: A comprehensive insight into the history of euro banknotes, from their conception to the second series of notes, the Europa series, written by the former Director Banknotes of the European Central Bank.
Description: This is the 13th annual review of the international role of the euro published by the ECB. It presents the main findings of the continued monitoring and analysis conducted by the ECB and the Eurosystem as regards the development, determinants and implications of the use of the euro by non-euro area residents. This review also examines in greater depth issues that have a bearing on the euro’s international role and the global currency order, including prospects for non-traditional reserve currencies and a multi-polar international monetary system. This analysis is presented in the form of three special features.
2. Main findings
3. Price-based indicators and euro area capital flows
4. Recent developments in the international use of the euro
a) Global safe asset shortage, non-traditional reserve currencies and the global financial crisis
b) The emergence of the Chinese renminbi as an international currency
c) History, gravity and international finance
Description: Not exactly a beginners' book, the ‘General Documentation’ presents the operational framework chosen by the Eurosystem for the single monetary policy in the euro area.
The document was adopted by the Governing Council as Annex I to Guideline ECB/2011/14 of 20 September 2011 on monetary policy instruments and procedures of the Eurosystem and applies from 1 January 2012.
1. Overview of the monetary policy framework.
2. Eligible counterparties.
3. Open market operations.
4. Standing facilities.
6. Eligible assets.
7. Minimum reserves.
Latest unofficial version: en
Description: Detailed 161-page description of the ECB’s monetary policy and its economic and institutional background.
1. The institutional framework of the single monetary policy.
2. The economic and financial structure of the euro area.
3. The ECB’s monetary policy strategy.
4. Monetary policy implementation.
5. The conduct of monetary policy since 1999. Annex on the history of Economic and Monetary Union. Bibliography, glossary.
Description: 36-page brochure providing an introduction to central banking in the EU.
1. The road to Economic and Monetary Union.
2. Structure and tasks.
3. Monetary policy.
4. The TARGET/TARGET2 system.
5. Euro banknotes and coins.
6. Banking supervision. Glossary.
[Hard copies available in DE, EN, FR and NL]
Description: A 79-page, illustrated book on the importance of price stability, how it can be best achieved and how price stability supports sustainable economic growth and prosperity in the EU.
2. Money - a short history.
3. Importance of price stability.
4. Factors determining price developments.
5. The ECB’s monetary policy. Bibliography, glossary.
[Edition 2011, online only]
Editor: Tom Kokkola (September 2010)
A comprehensive 370-page insight into the handling of financial transactions, the functioning of financial market infrastructure, and the role of the Eurosystem.
Contents: Part I examines key concepts and processes in market infrastructure services of modern economies and underlying economic, business, legal, institutional and policy issues. Part II reviews the market infrastructure for the handling of financial transactions in euro and key legislation. Part III explains the roles and policies of the Eurosystem in this field, the legal basis and its cooperation arrangements.
[Hard copies available in EN]
Description: A unique record of all available ECB statistics.
1. One source for ECB statistics.
2. New statistics and when?
3. Where can the statistics be found and how often are they produced?
4. Legal basis
Description: A 94-page, illustrated book on the development and introduction of the euro banknotes and coins.
1. A decade in preparation
6. Security features of euro banknotes
7. Current and future developments.
Description: A comprehensive 200-page overview of the ECB from its inception in June 1998 until the present day. The author was a senior manager of the European Monetary Institute (EMI) and, until his retirement, of the ECB.
1. EMU, the ECB and the euro.
2. Central banking in EMU: legal, institutional and organisational aspects.
3. ECB policies and Eurosystem activities.
4. The ECB and the European Community.
5. The ECB's involvement in international cooperation.
6. The ECB as a corporate entity: excerpts from the Treaty establishing the European Community, the Protocol on the Statute of the ESCB and of the ECB. Bibliography, glossary.
[Hard copies available in DE and EN]