Into the future: Europe’s digital integrated market
ECB and European Commission joint conference
Tuesday, 31 January 2017, 9:00-17:00CET
ECB Main building, Conference room C2
- Registration and coffee
Mario Draghi, President, European Central Bank
Olivier Guersent, Director General Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union, European Commission
Capital markets union and post-trade integration: where are we heading?
The capital markets union is a new frontier of Europe’s single market.
Its creation is a key element of the investment plan announced by the Juncker Commission in November 2014. How can we establish a capital markets union in Europe? What progress has been made since the Giovannini barriers were identified? What remains to be done and what will have to be addressed beyond the Giovannini barriers? How can the public and private sectors collaborate best to ensure success, and what should the priorities for market participants and authorities be?
- Michael Cole-Fontayn, Chairman of the Association for Financial Markets in Europe, and Chairman of Europe, Middle East and Africa, BNY Mellon
- Alberto Giovannini, Chairman, MTS Markets
- Olivier Guersent, Director General Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union, European Commission
- Alexandra Hachmeister, Chief Regulatory Officer, Deutsche Börse Group
Moderator: Christine Graeff, Director General, European Central Bank
- Coffee break
A history of the future – the world in 2025
Does the world we live in today look like the one we pictured ten years ago? In a fast-changing environment, can we imagine what our life will look like in 2025? As technology continues to be the main driver of change, affecting various spheres of life and business, how will it shape the financial markets of the future? Will they be significantly different from how they are today?
Jeremy Rifkin, Author and founder of the Foundation on Economic Trends
Digital transformation: Europe’s integrated market of tomorrow
Yves Mersch, Member of the Executive Board, European Central Bank
The Eurosystem's integration agenda: unleashing the potential of a stronger European market
The path towards greater integration of the financial market infrastructure in Europe has reached important milestones during the past few years, but the journey is not over yet. How can the Eurosystem drive harmonisation further in the industry? What are the key elements of its agenda? Can the full potential of an integrated European market be unleashed by enhancing the market infrastructure? Should instant payment settlement be offered in central bank money? Can we make liquidity management, within the fields of payment transfers, securities settlement and collateral management, more efficient? How can the joint efforts of the Eurosystem and the European Commission help achieve a stronger European market? What do market players consider to be the most important priorities?
- Marc Bayle de Jessé, Director General Market Infrastructure and Payments, European Central Bank
- John Gibbons, Head of Global Transaction Banking, Deutsche Bank
- Martin Merlin, Director of Regulation and prudential supervision of financial Institutions, DG-FISMA, European Commission
- Wim Mijs, Chief Executive Officer, European Banking Federation
- Lieve Mostrey, Chief Executive Officer, Euroclear
Moderator: Gertrude Tumpel-Gugerell, Former Member of the Executive Board, European Central Bank
- Coffee break
Cybercrime – prepared for the unknown
Marco Gercke, Director, Cybercrime Research Institute
Innovation and regulation in the world of tomorrow
Technological innovations are disrupting all aspects of our life and the world is becoming more and more digital every day. What potential impact could new technologies have on the payment and post-trade industry? How could new technologies change the current operational and regulatory landscape? As overseers, it is necessary for the Eurosystem to investigate these developments to ensure efficiency and safety in the financial system, particularly in the context of growing cybersecurity issues. What steps have already been taken and what still needs to be done to enhance cyber resilience?
- Steven Maijoor, Chairman, European Securities and Markets Authority
- Xavier Rolet, CEO, London Stock Exchange Group
- Simon Taylor, Co-Founder, 11:FS
- Cora van Nieuwenhuizen, Member of the European Parliament
Moderator: Benoît Cœuré, Member of the Executive Board, European Central Bank
End of conference
Please note that this programme may be subject to change without notice.
European Central Bank
60314 Frankfurt am Main
Tel.: +49 (0) 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 (0) 69 1344 6000
Transfers: Participants are requested to arrange their own transfers, unless indicated otherwise.
Organisation committee: MIP Communication
Administrative contacts: MIP.email@example.com, Directorate General Market Infrastructure & Payments