Women in Economics Scholarship
Congratulations to the winners of the 2019/20
scholarship: Míde Griffin, Maja Sabol, Camille Habe
(not pictured), Annik Ketterle and Karolina Wilczyńska!
We are proud to support your Master’s degree studies.
We are offering grants, worth €10,000 each, to five female economics students.
Are you a woman currently enrolled, or about to enrol, in a Master’s course in economics at a university or business school in Europe? If so, our Women in Economics Scholarship could be for you!
The funding is intended to help finance your studies. Successful candidates will also have the opportunity to visit the European Central Bank to gain an insight into our cutting-edge research and learn about the career opportunities we offer.
Economics is a diverse field. We welcome applications from students interested in a broad range of topics – not just central banking.
- You are a woman
- You are an EU citizen
- You are currently enrolled, or are about to enrol, in a Master’s course in economics at a European university or business school
- You have a financial need, and the funding gap may prevent you from pursuing your studies
- You obtained excellent grades in your undergraduate studies (corresponding grades are outlined below for some countries; for other countries, grades of an equivalent level are required)
|Country in which you completed or are completing your Bachelor’s degree||Required average grade for our scholarship|
|Czech Republic||1-1.99 or 80-100|
|Hungary||4-5 or 80-100|
|Malta||A to A+ or 80-100|
|Sweden||4-5 or A- to A|
|United States||A- to A|
(* equivalent to cum laude)
What’s in it for you?
- A grant of €10,000
- A study-visit to the ECB
- Insight into the ECB’s cutting-edge economic research
- The opportunity to meet your fellow scholars and the ECB Women in Leadership network
- Advice and mentoring from an ECB economist
How it works
- Click “Apply” below to register and create your profile (in English)
As part of your application, you will need to:
- Explain the motivation behind your studies and detail your career aspirations
- Outline your current funding situation
Along with your application, you will need to submit the following:
- Proof of (preliminary) acceptance to a Master’s course in economics for the coming academic year (i.e. if you are applying for the 2020-21 scholarship, you need to prove acceptance to a Master’s for the 2020-21 academic year). We accept degrees with a major in economics or with a specialisation (such as international economics, monetary economics, econometrics, development economics, environmental economics)
- Official transcripts of your undergraduate qualifications, your academic record and (if applicable) evidence of your highest level of completed studies
Timing & selection process
- Apply by 9 June 2020 (23:59 CEST).
- After the closing date we will draw up a shortlist of candidates.
- If you are shortlisted, we will invite you to an online interview. We plan to hold interviews between 22 and 26 June 2020.
- We will inform successful candidates at the end of the selection process.
Not sure whether you are eligible? Don’t know if your Master’s programme would qualify? Get in touch by writing to WomenInEconomics@ecb.europa.eu
Please also read the Terms & Conditions of the scholarship carefully before applying.
Why do we offer this scholarship?
The economics profession lags behind in terms of gender balance. We at the ECB want to support women’s career development in the wider field of economics as well as in central banking.
We look forward to receiving your application.