Member of the ECB's Executive Board
- Postgraduate degree in Political Science, University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
- Postgraduate degree in International Public Law, Master of Political Science, University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
- Master’s degree in Law, University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
- Since December 2012
- Member of the Executive Board, European Central Bank
- Governor of the Banque centrale du Luxembourg (BCL)
Director of the Treasury
Personal Representative of the Minister of Finance during the negotiation of the Maastricht Treaty
- Government Commissioner for the Luxembourg Stock Exchange (Securities Market Authority)
- Member of the Council of the Luxembourg Monetary Institute (banking supervisory authority)
- Adviser, international financial and monetary relations, Ministry of Finance
- Financial Counsellor, Permanent Representation of Luxembourg to the United Nations, New York
- Attaché, Ministry of Finance
- Secondment to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Washington, D.C.
- Assistant, Ministry of Finance
- Admitted to the Luxembourg Bar
Other positions and mandates
- Elected Co-Chair of the Financial Stability Board’s Regional Consultative Group for Europe (2011-12)
- President of the Fondation de la Banque centrale du Luxembourg (BCL’s Foundation) which promotes research and higher education in the BCL’s fields of activity (2011-12)
- Deputy Chair of the Governing Board of the International Islamic Liquidity Management Corporation (IILM) (2010-12)
- Member of the Board of the Luxembourg School of Finance Foundation (FLSF) (2006-12)
- President of the non-profit association, The Bridge Forum Dialogue a.s.b.l, founded in 2000 with the participation of the European Union institutions and bodies established in Luxembourg (2000-12)
- Alternate Governor for Luxembourg on the Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) (1998-2012)
- Member of the Systemic Risk Centre Scientific Advisory Board, London School of Economics.
- Member of the Central Bank Governance Group, established at the Bank for International Settlements.
Major previous positions and mandates
- Monetary Committee of the European Communities: alternate member from 1982 to 1985; full member from 1989 to 1998
- World Bank: Alternate Governor
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD): Alternate Governor
- European Investment Bank (EIB): Member of the Board of Directors
- President of the Office du Ducroire (Luxembourg Export Credit Agency)
- Vice-President of Société nationale de crédit et d’investissement (Luxembourg National Development Bank)
- Administrator representing the State on the boards of the following bodies:
- ARBED S.A. (steel company)
- Société européenne de satellites (SES) (European Satellite Company)
- Entreprise des Postes et Télécommunications (Post and Telecommunications Company)
- Société Nationale des Habitations à Bon Marché (National Housing Company)
- Banque et Caisse d’Epargne de l’Etat (State Savings Bank)
- In 2014 Yves Mersch was appointed honorary Professor at the University of Luxembourg.
- In 2013 Yves Mersch was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Miami University.
- Yves Mersch is Officer of the National Order of the Legion of Honour (Ordre National de la Légion d’honneur, France) and Grand Officer of the Cross of Recognition (Latvia).